Friday, July 28, 2006

My Top Ten Favorite Meals: #10

Since I've been on this pre/post operative diet, mainly liquids, for over a month now, I'm really looking forward to Monday when I'll be able to eat solid foods again. But what will that first meal be? I thought I'd countdown my favorite meals. Let me know what yours are.

So, one of my favorite meals is what I call the Starch-o-rama. I am totally serious about loving this meal.

1. Mexican/chili beans - very spicy
2. Mac and cheese (homemade, deluxe Kraft, or even out of the cardboard box)
3. Whole kernal corn (not cream style)
4. Slice of onion
5. Chunk of kielbasa or a couple of hot dogs (Oscar Mayer) with lots of mustard
6. Potato chips - Classic Lays OR mashed potatoes (homemade only)

I know, I know. It sounds hideous when you look at it from a nutritional standpoint. But my taste buds revel in the flavors. The meal has a great blend of textures: crunchy, chewy, crisp, firm. It has a nice balance of sweet, spicy, salty and tangy. What it doesn't have a balance in is green vegetables.

Before you scoff, try it out. You could also add fresh sliced tomatoes, or substitute chili for the chili beans.

4 comments:

Michele said...

meatloaf
Shepards Pie A/k/A Chinese pudding
tacos
Zuchinni Pancakes
Sphaghetti with chuncks of onions and portebello mushrooms and meatballs
Beef Stew served in a bread bowl
Clam fritters/cakes - whatever they're called locally
Lobster -any way I can get it
Beef/broccoli pie topped with beef gravy

Oh gosh, now I"m hungry!!
Glad to hear you about to enjoy solids again, Kelli!
Sounds like all is going well, so happy to hear that too!!
Cheers!

Kelli McBride said...

I am a bit obsessed with food right now. ;-)

Love your list - some of my favs on there too - Shepard's Pie and Tacos always great.

Jo Smith said...

Kelli

The meal looks wonderful to me also. Wonder if we added green salsa that would count for the green vegies?

A sister in starch
Jo

Jo Smith said...

Oh

I forgot

Blongia and oreo's.

Also I'm so glad you did well and are healing quickly.

I'm proud of you and your courage
Jo