Saturday, December 09, 2006

Appleby's and Cosmopolitans

I have just discovered Cosmopolitans, and they are delicious!! I was having dinner with some friends at Appleby's (this time our waiter did not ask my friends to clean my plate or finish my drink), and decided to take a chance and order a drink I've never had. Yum! Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 oz vodka; 3/4 oz triple sec; 3/4 oz cranberry juice; 1 oz fresh lime juice. Pour the vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice and lime juice into a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

This is just as good as my previous find, the Mojito.

3 fresh mint sprigs; 2 tsp sugar; 3 tbsp fresh lime juice; 1 1/2 oz light rumclub soda. In a tall thin glass, crush part of the mint with a fork to coat the inside. Add the sugar and lime juice and stir thoroughly. Top with ice. Add rum and mix. Top off with *chilled* club soda (or seltzer). Add a lemon slice and the remaining mint, and serve.

Both of these drinks are tart and light. And they are both beautiful as well. The light pink of the cosmo in the martini glass, and the cool green of the mojito are aesthetically pleasing to me, which always is half the delight in drinking and eating.

On a related note, I have also discovered the Frappucino's at Starbucks. Oh lord, but those are tasty. Thankfully, I'm not a coffee freak, so I won't be tempted to buy these too often. Today, though, after a second day of Christmas shopping, I really needed a shot of caffeine. The mocha frappucino certainly did the trick.

And you wouldn't believe the buys I got at Wall's. Lotsa people gonna be verra-verra happy at Christmas time.

0 comments: