Friday, July 27, 2007

What a view

Yesterday, I walked out of my office building and was confronted with one of the reasons why I love Oklahoma. I got out my camera and took several snapshots to share this incredible view with you.

A picture cannot begin to do credit to the sky. Sometimes the sky in Oklahoma makes you feel squashed - the thick, low-hanging clouds block out the sun and sky, leaving the landscape dismal. Sometimes, the sky makes you feel like you're in an alien setting - the colors get sharp, intense, and, well, just weird. Then, there are days like yesterday, when the sky makes you feel so very tiny and yet so very tall at the same time. You walk out and cannot help but feel the immensity of nature and your very small part of it when faced with these giant clouds that disappear into the horizon and the incredible, true blue sky. Still, because the sky seems so immense, you can't help but feel taller as well. It's a paradoxical and wonderful experience.

I hope wherever you live, nature reveals itself as wonderfully as it does in Oklahoma. Okay, I admit, nature is also a pain in the ass here as well. Here's a picture from 2 weeks ago in Seminole, after several days of rain. This is the park in Seminole, and there is usually NO WATER here. I'd say this "river" was probably 2-3 feet deep, and ran parallel to the road for about 1/2 a mile. And the current was quite swift. The grounds of the park were swamped, the whole thing turning into a shallow lake.


The next day, the water was gone. I would have never guessed that it would have drained that quickly.

0 comments: