Thursday, August 25, 2005

My #1 Sexy Man is.....

Richard Dean Anderson!! aka MacGyver and Col. Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1). I know, for some this will be a letdown, but I think he is delicious.

As MacGyver, he established that the mullett can be sexy. His daredevil attitude mixed with a strong message of brains over brawn made Mac a wonderful character and postive role model. But he still fits many of my criteria. He definitely had loss and pain in his past - one of the reasons Mac is against guns is because of an incident in his childhood that cost a friend his life. He also lost his parents as a young boy and then his grandfather dies during the show. His continuing fight with Murdock made great TV, and his relationships with Pete and Jack Dawson rounded out the show.

MacGyver is definitely the ultimate problem-solver. He appeared in flight suit in at least one episode.

As Jack O'Neill in Stargate SG-1, Anderson brought a wonderful wit and irony to a character that in the movie (played by Kurt Russell) was very stoic. From the beginning, I loved how he added swagger (that he could back up), humor, and a strong sense of loyalty to this character. Who wouldn't love a man who never leaves a team member behind? And though he often has no clue what the scientists are telling him, Jack O'Neill is no dummy.

O'Neill uses humor to distance himself because of the pain of his son's death and the break-up of his marriage afterward. He doesn't, though, try to hide his disdain and impatience with fools and pompous politicians, or anyone he feels is wasting his time and endangering his life (or the life of his team). He obviously loves Samantha Carter, but their position in the military prevents them from having a relationship other than friend and professional.


He's tall, with eyes so dark they appear to be solid black at times, and his tawny mane of hair has beautifully silvered, enhancing the golden cast of his skin. Though he's 55 now, he doesn't look it. Anderson is one actor that has improved with age. Those cheekbones make me melt!

Basically, if you don't see it, then I'm sure this is a poor choice for you. But I adore RDA, and I really miss Jack from Stargate SG-1. I miss his physical presence, his wit, and his dedication to the quest: save Earth, defeat the bad guys, and get back home to fish in his pond (which has no fish). O'Neill, lilke MacGyver, was a complex man, always surprising us with a new facet or a revelation from their pasts. It made watching the shows exciting and fun.

So as MacGyver or as Jack O'Neill, Richard Dean Anderson is a sexy beast and my #1 sexy TV star. Anyone that can be this gorgeous for 20 years of TV stardom deserves a place on the list. How TV Land missed this one, I don't know.

5 comments:

Rinda Elliott said...

I've been quiet because he's so gorgeous, he steals my words.

You can't even call that a mullet when it was on his head.

Good choice. Most are good choices.

Rinda

Kelli McBride said...

Whew! I was worried you were questioning my choice! ;-)

He is gorgeous, isn't he. Sigh.

Rinda Elliott said...

No worries. And even if I did, so what? It's a good thing that we are all attracted to different sorts of people -- makes the world interesting.

I've often amused or surprised people by the men I'll point out as attractive. For a while, I had a thing for Arliss Howard... did you see him in Men Don't Leave? He has this sort of inner amusement I find sexy. I've always found Sean Penn attractive as well. His sexiness comes from his intensity.

Christy wrote an excellent article on what makes a man sexy. I need to see if she still has that. You'd love it.

Rinda

Kelli McBride said...

I admit to once finding Bernie Kopell (Doc on LOVE BOAT) sexy. Of course, I was only in the 7th grade. But indeed, I help found the Bernie Kopell club at Bernie, MO Jr. High.

A dark, disturbing point in my life.

Rinda Elliott said...

You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh. I, too, had a horrendous Monday and I'm doing my best not to let the mood trickle all the way to Friday.

Rinda

About Me

My photo
Oklahoma
ABD, Associate Professor of Language Arts & Humanities at an Oklahoma 2-year college; web site designer; devoted aunt to Lauren.